Friday, November 27, 2009

Macros...

Macrophotography or photography can be a little misleading to novices. It is actually defined as taking a snap of a small object such that the image formed is as big as the object itself.
basically its about photographing small objects from close up :)
however as all good things, macro lenses are also expensive and I already have invested more than I intended to on my 3 lenses.
Thats when one of my friends told me about a reverse mount adapter. A reverse mount adapter is something which allows you to attach your lens on backwards. Since I needed to see if it could really work, I tried some macro shots by holding the lens in my left hand and holding camera in my right and somehow taking the snap.
One thing I realized before I did was that I will not get any camera assistance to determine fstop or shutterspeed etc. I was on my own n I liked that. Also, handheld lens meant there was a good chance of abbeerations in the snaps because of the misalignmnent of the axis of the lens.
These were the first few shots I got :)
The first one is a Cod liver oil capsule. One thing is that I couldnt set the f stop at 1.4 because of the fact that with reverse mount, there is absolutely no depth. So, to avoid blurry snaps, I set the f stop a little higher thus compensating on the light factor. I had to have a fast shutter as holding the lens and camera in both hands meant lots of shaking. So with a high F, fast shutter, I cranked up the ISO to 800 to get a dimly lit grainy cod liver oil tablet.


This is of a rakhi which my wife had bought for her brother. The "Om" was about 1 cm long in the actual rakhi. This is also taken using a handheld lens.






Finally during my trip to Japan in Sept'09, I got myself a reverse mount adapter and clicked the below insect using it.



and a rose as well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment